Please note applications for this role are now closed.
Full list of opportunities here (apologies it’s not mobile friendly yet, we’re working on it as you click).
London. Competitive Salary.
Building on considerable recent campaign successes, including the introduction of legislation relating to smoking in cars and tobacco packaging, The British Lung Foundation is now looking for a new Policy and Public Affairs Manager to join its multi-award-winning Communications team.
The British Lung Foundation is the only UK charity for all types of lung conditions – from COPD, pulmonary fibrosis and lung cancer to mesothelioma and asthma. They fund vital medical research; campaign against air pollution and for better services; and produce award-winning information that helps patients and their families.
The Policy and Public Affairs Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of the public affairs strategy and creating robust policy around the charity’s aims and guidelines.
You will lead on devising and implementing targeted public affairs activity to influence health policy so that it better prevents future cases of lung disease and better supports people currently living with it.
You will also be responsible for overseeing the research and development of organisational policy on lung health in the UK, identifying opportunities through which we can make a positive difference to the lung health of the nation.
With three direct reports, and reporting to the Director of Communications, this role is vital to the overall communications team.
- Build and manage relationships with key external stakeholders, including MPs, peers, and officials within the Department of Health, NHS England, Public Health England, NICE and other bodies.
- Manage the research and drafting of policy positions across a broad range of issues.
- Proactively stay abreast of political developments and changing health policy.
Skills and Experience
- Experience and knowledge of parliamentary procedures and healthcare systems.
- A strategic thinker and effective networker and influencer, you will also have a strong track record of success in using creative lobbying to achieve change.
- Excellent knowledge of UK health care policy and processes.
- Experience in managing direct reports.
- Experience in managing budgets.
- Experience working with patient groups.
- Non-smoker (desirable).
- Awareness and comfort with, BLF medical research, which may on occasion involve animal research.
As well as a competitive salary you can enjoy a range of competitive benefits including our cycle-to-work scheme, interest-free annual season Travelcard loan, 30 days annual leave (plus Bank Holidays), pension scheme and much more.
We’ll take you to the EA website to apply for this role, (while we’re working on making all jobs mobile friendly).
Picture by Ahn Young-joon / AP/Press Association Images.