London. Up to £40k. 12 month contract.
High profile and influential watchdog is looking for an interim senior communications officer for a 12 month contract.
You will be responsible for supporting the Press & Media Manager and Marketing & Communications Manager in delivering and implementing the external communications strategy. Working across all available channels and to a wide range of audiences, you will provide subject matter expertise to projects to help them deliver their strategic priorities.
- Develop, plan and deliver effective marketing and media campaigns and external communications activities to help maximise the impact of their work in line with their business plan.
- Be a source of external communications expertise for the organisation, shaping the communications approaches for specific projects, initiatives and events.
- Build and manage relationships with key stakeholders, journalists, editors and other commentators in the press and media.
- Prepare and deliver responses to all enquiries, media and otherwise, in line with key strategic messages, including briefing the Chair and other senior staff before media appearances and external events.
- Actively seek out and capitalise on opportunities to help develop the organisation’s profile, as well as identify and prepare for issues which may impact on their reputation.
- Support their internal campaign to improve writing skills across the organisations.
Skills and experience:
- Track record of initiating and delivering media relations activity and campaigns as well as managing reputational issues in complex organisations.
- Knowledge or understanding of the workings of central government and/or the NHS, ideally with an understanding of the role of an Ombudsman function.
- Extensive experience of working in a busy and demanding communications function with proven ability of performing to a high standard under pressure.
Written by David Milligan, Senior Consultant
David specialises in recruiting professional interims in communications and public affairs within health and social care. He has helped global corporate pharmaceuticals to leading health charities, regulators, trade and membership bodies and NHS providers.
Picture by: Henrik Montgomery / TT News Agency/Press Association Images.