This position has now been filled. Take a look at our website for a full list of our current opportunities.
London. £60,000 – £70,000.
TalkTalk, the UK’s top value-for-money provider of phone, broadband, TV and mobile for people at home and at work is looking for a new Head of Public Affairs.
Working in a highly regulated sector, you will be joining a small team of innovators, creative thinkers and the problem-solvers. Although now one of the UK’s best-known telecoms corporates, TalkTalk has not lost its entrepreneurial roots and the new Head of Public Affairs will need to be someone who personifies that spirit.
As the Head of Public Affairs, you will design and lead TalkTalk’s public affairs strategy, ensuring their distinct challenger voice is heard and understood across Westminster, Whitehall and the devolved administrations. Your persuasive campaigns will advocate pro-competition, pro-consumer reform and you will thrive taking on incumbents to create markets that better serve customers. You will champion policies that ensure the whole of Britain benefits from the digital revolution, and has access to a safer, more secure online world. You will be comfortable representing the company on all policy issues relevant to the business, including: regulatory campaigns; infrastructure investment issues; online child safety; cyber security; digital skills; and consumer issues.
As the Head of Public Affairs at TalkTalk, you will be responsible for:
- Defining TalkTalk’s policy positions and priorities and designing and delivering a public affairs strategy in support of them.
- Leading Government and Parliamentary engagement, including meetings, drafting consultation responses and written briefings.
- Working with colleagues across the corporate affairs team to support integrated political, regulatory, media and CSR campaigns.
- Ensuring teams across TalkTalk understand external policy developments and the implications for the business.
- Managing an external public affairs agency.
To qualify for the position of Head of Public Affairs, you will need:
- At least 5 year’s of relevant experience, working in Parliament, at an agency or in an in-house public affairs role.
- A proven track record of delivering high-profile public affairs campaigns.
- Strong knowledge of the workings of Parliament and Government.
- Ability to build lasting and trusting relationships with decision makers.
- Comfortable dealing directly with senior stakeholders, including chief executives and ministers.
- Comfortable representing the company at external speaking events.
- Good time and project management skills, with the ability to juggle competing priorities.
Great to have:
- Experience of dealing with European institutions and devolved administrations.
- Policy experience in telecoms, technology or a regulated sector.
- Experience of corporate communications.
- Speech writing experience.
Written by Carol Freeman, Consultant.
Carol specialises in public affairs and policy recruitment. See more stories from Carol.
Picture by David Parry PA Archive/PA Images. Three people dressed as emoji characters tour London, as a new study by TalkTalk Mobile to mark the launch of Britain’s lowest priced unlimited mobile SIM, reveals that emoji is being adopted at a faster rate than any other language in history, with 8 in 10 British people now using the colourful symbols to communicate.