Please note applications for this role are now closed.
Full list of opportunities here (apologies it’s not mobile friendly yet, we’re working on it as you click).
Birmingham. £65,000 – £75,000.
Our client, an independent government funded organisation with a focus on a fast moving and issues rich consumer market, is looking to recruit a Head of Communications. You will work closely with the Executive Director of Corporate Affairs to set strategy, build capability and oversee the external & internal communications and public affairs teams.
Based in the Birmingham Office, the Head of Communications will be a media specialist, with excellent stakeholder engagement skills. Some exposure to public affairs and an understanding of internal communications would also be beneficial.
You will play an integral role in delivering the communications strategy, driving consumer engagement and managing the team to meet the organisations key business objectives. This is a crucial hire and the successful applicant must have the drive and ambition to make their mark and inspire a team to raise the profile of an independent organisation embedded in a fascinating and sometimes controversial industry.
You will have the chance to work closely with the senior management team, including a newly appointed, forward thinking CEO who, as a former Director of Communications appreciates the value of proactive external and internal communications. This is an opportunity to work for an organisation who have developed an entirely new consumer-centric strategy allowing you to create impactful and creative communications.
Your key responsibilities:
- Reviewing and executing the communications strategy in line with the business plan.
- Offering strategic advice on communications to the senior management team.
- Managing the communications budget and developing key individuals within the team.
- Taking lead responsibility for all media activity, including media training of key stakeholders, building relationships with key journalists in nationals and broadcast media and developing a crisis management plan.
- Overseeing all engagement with the organisations key stakeholders, including the development of a regular update service to disseminate key information to an internal audience.
As the Head of Communications you must have:
- Outstanding leadership skills and the ability to inspire a team and help transform output.
- Experience working with government bodies or small organisations.
- Outstanding media relations experience, both proactive and reactive, ideally within consumer advice/protection.
- Superb copy writing skills and an eye for detail, communicating complex policy issues to a consumer audience.
- Experience working at both a strategic and tactical level, and a willingness to get stuck into hands on delivery of communications plans.
- A self-starter who can work on own initiative and prioritise work and inspire the team to meet tight deadlines.
- Extensive experience in stakeholder management and an ability to build strong working relationship with colleagues throughout the business.
Written by James Green, Consultant
James has recruitment experience which spans both agency and in-house for business to business technology, corporate communications, financial services and consumer. More stories from James.
Picture by Bernd von Jutrczenka DPA/PA Images.