London. Circa £55,000.
The Russell Group, which represents 24 leading universities in the UK, are currently seeking an External Relations Manager to strengthen their Communications team. This is a permanent full-time post.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide high level support to the Head of Communications in planning and managing stakeholder activity and government relations.
- Prepare briefings, reports and presentations as required.
- Ensure the corporate communications and external relations planning grid drives stakeholder and partner engagement.
- Work with the Media Relations Manager and the Policy team to develop advocacy positions.
- Manage speechwriting and message development and have responsibility for external briefings to stakeholders.
- Map the organisation’s relationships with a wide range of stakeholders in alignment with engagement strategy.
- Develop strong relationships with external relations teams in member institutions, other HE bodies and Government departments.
- Demonstrate excellent project management skills, including planning and prioritisation.
Candidates will need to demonstrate that they can manage and prioritise a challenging and varied portfolio of work, meet tight deadlines as well as managing longer term work, embrace change, and work cooperatively and flexibly as part of a team.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- Substantial experience of building relationships and working with a range of external stakeholder organisations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including a proven ability to draft speeches and produce clear, concise, briefing material and content for different audiences.
- Significant experience of working in public affairs and will have a good understanding of UK politics and the workings of Parliament.
- Will show political nous, demonstrate a solid awareness of the nuances of policy and how to develop and implement advocacy positions.
- Be able to work under pressure and demonstrate an ability to think strategically.
- Competent and imaginative in using new and emerging forms of communication.
- Be a graduate with a good honours degree.
- Experience of overseeing the work of more junior colleagues.
The salary on offer will be £50,000-£60,000 dependent on skills and experience and the post is based in central London. Other benefits include a generous career average pension, an interest-free travelcard loan, a cycle scheme, and a subsidised canteen.
Please note applications for this role are now closed.
Full list of opportunities here (apologies it’s not mobile friendly yet, we’re working on it as you click).
Picture by Anthony Devlin PA Archive/PA Images. Guy Learmonth, Shakira Wright and James Thei compete on the running track in university graduation robes in the Olympic Stadium.