This position has now been filled. Take a look at our website for a full list of our current opportunities.
Based in Central London. £Competitive.
Great British Racing (GBR) is the central promotional and marketing body for British Horseracing. Its aims are to broaden racing’s popularity and, in doing so, help increase engagement with and participation in the sport.
80% of GBR’s year-round output relates to earned coverage, with a particular focus on content creation. Its work is supplemented with paid-for advertising and promotion to support specific campaigns.
“Four of the UK’s best attended sports events are racing ones. We’ve averaged racecourse attendances of 5.9 million over the last few years. We’re second only to football in attendance and dedicated television hours. Betting on racing accounts for some £100 million in tax income for the Government.”
Rod Street, Chief Executive, Great British Racing
An energetic, creative and hands-on Communications & Marketing Director is sought to deliver GBR’s PR and marketing strategy.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the Communications & Marketing Director will be responsible for leading an integrated PR and marketing team in delivering GBR’s aims and objectives of increasing racing’s popularity by engaging with new audiences.
As well as the main racing events of the year (Cheltenham, the Grand National and Royal Ascot), this position will manage the promotion and marketing of British Champions Series and Day – a set of racing’s premium commercial rights.
The Communications & Marketing Director will be need to develop and execute PR and marketing strategies, interpret consumer insight to influence activity and also exploit opportunities as they arise. They will also be expected to lead a team that creates and develops outstanding ideas that help make horseracing famous.
The successful candidate will manage a diverse group of stakeholders and contribute to the broader industry communications strategy. The Communications & Marketing Director will be expected to maintain and develop the existing excellent relationships with broadcasters, media partners and journalists.
Main responsibilities include:
- Develop and execute exciting campaigns to support GBR’s aims and objectives, using consumer insight to influence activity and also exploit opportunities as they arise.
- Manage a diverse group of stakeholders and partners by maintaining and developing the existing excellent relationships with broadcasters, media partners and journalists.
- As a member of GBR‘s senior leadership team contribute to the broader industry communications strategy.
- When required, act as a spokesperson for Great British Racing and for the industry.
Required skills and experience include:
- Experience in communications, marketing, media relations, digital engagement and events promotion.
- Excellent existing media relationships – particularly in the consumer sector and a track record in securing earned media coverage.
- Skilled in devising and successfully executing highly creative PR campaigns.
- Management experience including planning, budget management, personnel management.
For a full and detailed role description along with additional information on Great British Racing please select from these links:
If you are interested in this opportunity please ‘apply’ and if you have any specific questions contact Gavin Ellwood on firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll take you to the EA website to apply for this role, (while we’re working on making all jobs mobile friendly).
Written by Gavin Ellwood, Director of Associations & Foundations
Gavin specialises in the appointment of senior leaders, advising the boards of trade associations, professional bodies and foundations on the appointment of Directors General, Chief Executives and their communications teams.
Picture from http://www.greatbritishracing.com.