£50,000 – £65,000. Central London.
Imperial War Museums (IWM) are hiring an Assistant Director, Communications and Marketing, to join the team at the creative heart of the museums, working across all five branches. You will play a central role in developing and implementing an integrated communications and marketing strategy aimed at transforming the way IWM engages with the public.
IWM exists to help people understand the causes, course and consequences of war from the 20th Century up to the present day. As one of the world’s leading authorities on conflict and its impact on people’s lives, their collections are filled with personal accounts and experiences, and inspiring and powerful stories.
In January 2016, Gill Webber was appointed to IWM as the Executive Director, Content and Programmes. She has been integral in ensuring the success of a restructure to integrate the museums’ public engagement and outreach, including the integration of the communications and marketing teams.
Joining IWM in their centenary year, the new Assistant Director will be a key part of the team that markets one of London’s top visitor attractions, the Churchill War Rooms, and will work to ensure the other branches equal this success and that IWM remain as relevant today as they were 100 years ago.
IWM is seeking a creative communications and marketing leader, with a track record of delivering results, managing a high performing team, and providing strategic leadership to those around them.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Content and Programmes, the overall purpose of the role is to lead on the development and implementation of an integrated communications and marketing strategy, with the aim of delivering the key objective: helping IWM to change the way in which people think about the impact of war.
Success measures for this person will include an increase in collaboration between the communications and marketing functions, resulting in a wider audience reach. The aim of this is to highlight the work that IWM do to showcase the effect of war on populations as well as drive footfall and spend to the five key sights nationally.
Main responsibilities include:
- Advise on the communications and marketing strategy and issues, and actively contribute to the overall management of IWM through the senior management team
- Chair the editorial board ensuring consistent message development and delivery across IWM branches and projects, and the development of IWM’s voice
- Work across IWM to help ensure key messages are communicated consistently across all external and internal communications
- Develop the existing crisis management strategy for IWM’s business plan
- Lead the media and communications response to incidents and crises
- Lead on media partnerships and other strategic PR and marketing partnerships to support branding, reputation and income objectives
- Provide strategic direction and line management for the Head of Press and PR and the Head of Marketing, plus overall management of the communications and marketing team
Please send your CV using the apply for this role button, quoting reference JG-1706-4730.
Written by James Green, Consultant
James has recruitment experience which spans both agency and in-house for business to business technology, corporate communications, financial services and consumer. More stories from James.
Image by John Stillwell/PA Archive/PA Images. The main entrance of the refurbished Imperial War Museum in London.